Natural light in home is essential for our health, well-being, and mood. But also it makes our homes look more inviting, spacious, and vibrant. However, not all homes are blessed with abundant natural light, especially if they have small windows, face the wrong direction, or are surrounded by tall buildings or trees. Lavish Maison experts have some suggestions to increase natural light in home.
Our primary solution to increase natural light in your home is home renovation. During the renovation of a house, it is easy to increase the amount of natural light entering the space. In a home improvement project, windows can be enlarged or new windows can be installed. You can also, consider replacing the doors with glass doors to enhance the amount of natural light entering the house. If you are seeking more affordable options, here are some suggestions to illuminate your space using natural light.
Effect of natural light on health and moods
The effect of sun light in home on health is a topic that many people are interested in, especially during the winter months when the days are shorter and darker. Sunlight has many benefits for both physical and mental health, such as boosting mood, supporting bone health, lowering blood pressure, and preventing disease.
also sunlight is a natural source of vitamin D, which is essential for bone health, immune system function, and possibly cancer prevention. Sunlight also helps regulate the levels of serotonin and melatonin in the brain, which are hormones that affect mood, sleep, and circadian rhythms. Sunlight can help regulate the circadian rhythm, which is the body’s internal clock that controls sleep and wake cycles. Natural light can also reduce stress and depression, especially in winter months when natural light is scarce. Sunlight exposure can make people feel happier, more alert, and more relaxed.
Boost the effect of natural light by choosing the right wall colors
If you want to increase natural light in your home, choosing the right wall color is essential. As mentioned above, natural light is the light coming from the sun, without any color cast from artificial sources or reflections. Natural light can make your space feel more spacious, airy, and inviting, as well as enhance the true colors of your furniture and decor. But what are the best wall colors to achieve this effect?
There are several factors to consider when choosing the best neutral color for your walls. Here are some tips to help you make the right decision:
- Amount and direction of natural light in your room: Rooms that face north or east tend to receive cooler and bluer light, while rooms that face south or west tend to receive warmer and yellower light. You can balance out the temperature of the light by choosing a neutral color with the opposite undertone.
- Size and shape of your room: Smaller or darker rooms can benefit from lighter neutrals, as they can reflect more light and make the space feel bigger. Larger or brighter rooms can handle darker neutrals, as they can add some depth and contrast to the space.
- Mood and style you want to create in your room: Different neutrals can evoke different feelings and atmospheres in your space. For example, if you want a cozy and rustic vibe, you can choose a beige or taupe neutral with some brown or red undertones. If you want a sleek and contemporary vibe, you can choose a gray or white neutral with some blue or green undertones.
- Other colors and elements in your room: Your wall color should complement and harmonize with the rest of your decor, such as your furniture, flooring, curtains, rugs, artwork, etc. You can use a color wheel to find colors that match or contrast with your wall color.
We reviewed color pallet in “Choosing Color for Home Interior Design” article.
Lavish Maison’s suggestions for neutral wall colors 2023
Here are some suggestions from our experts at Lavish Maison for popular and best-selling neutral wall colors for 2023. These colors can increase the amount of natural light in your home.
- White Dove by Benjamin Moore: This is one of the most popular white paint colors for interiors. It is a rich and creamy white with only slight hints of yellow, which makes it warm and inviting without being too stark or bright.
- Repose Gray by Sherwin Williams: This is one of the best-selling gray paint colors for interiors. It is a warm gray that has a slight green and purple undertone, which adds just the right amount of warmth to avoid being too cold or dull.
- Edgecomb Gray by Benjamin Moore: This is one of the most popular greige paint colors for interiors. Greige is a mix of gray and beige, which creates a soft and neutral tone that works well with any style or mood. Edgecomb Gray is a warm greige that looks more gray in lighter rooms and more beige in darker rooms.
- Pale Powder by Farrow & Ball: This is one of the most unique neutral paint colors for interiors. It is technically a very light aqua, but it looks gray in certain light. It has a subtle blue-green undertone that adds some freshness and interest to your space without being too colorful or overwhelming.
If you want to stay up-to-date with the latest trends in 2023, we have already covered this topic in our article titled “Bedroom Design Trends in 2023.”
Some more tips to increase natural light in your home
If you want to maximize the benefits of natural light in your home, here are some easy and do-it-yourself (DIY) tips to increase the amount and quality of natural light in your space:
- Use light colors for your walls, ceilings and floors. Light colors reflect more light than dark ones, making your rooms look more spacious and airy. You can also use glossy or metallic finishes to add some shine and sparkle to your surfaces.
- Add mirrors and other reflective accessories to your decor. Mirrors can bounce light around the room, creating the illusion of more windows. You can also use glass, metal or crystal objects to catch and reflect light from different angles.
- Choose curtains and blinds that let in light. Avoid heavy or dark fabrics that block out light. Instead, opt for sheer, translucent or light-colored curtains that filter light without sacrificing privacy. You can also use blinds that can be adjusted to control the amount of light entering the room.
- Clean your windows regularly. Dust and dirt can reduce the amount of light that passes through your windows. Make sure to wipe them down with a cloth and a mild cleaner at least once a month. You can also use vinegar or lemon juice to remove any stains or streaks.
- Trim any trees or bushes that obstruct your windows. Overgrown foliage can cast shadows and block natural light from reaching your home. Prune any branches or leaves that are in the way of your windows. You can also plant flowers or herbs that attract butterflies or hummingbirds to add some color and life to your view.
- Install skylights or solar tubes in your roof. Skylights and solar tubes are openings in your roof that allow natural light to enter your home from above. They can brighten up dark areas such as hallways, staircases or bathrooms. They can also provide ventilation and reduce heat gain in the summer.
- Replace solid doors with glass doors. Glass doors can let more light into your rooms, especially if they face south or west. You can choose clear, frosted or tinted glass depending on your preference and privacy needs. You can also use sliding or bi-fold doors to save space and create a seamless transition between indoor and outdoor spaces.
Considering the importance of natural light in a home, Lavish Maison aims to increase natural light in homes during home renovation projects. This is particularly crucial in home renovation in Toronto due to the limited amount of sunlight throughout the year in this city and the Greater Toronto Area. It is essential to maximize the use of available sunlight.
If you are looking to consult with a professional team specializing in home renovation in Toronto, please fill out the pre-qualification form. We can also serve as your consultant in the field of home renovation loans.